February 11, 2010

lovin' it!



G’day buggers! (“bugger” is an all around term that can be used in many situations. Ex. “Oh bugger, I left my keys!” or “That little bugger is such a pain!”).

I think that it would be a cool idea to share new words or phrases that I learn every day. Here’s what I’ve learned so far:
Chockered = full (used after a meal).
Good on yah mate = good job
Yeah? = follows every sentence
Breakie = breakfast
Rellies = relatives
Banana hammock or dick slicker = speedo
Give way = yield
Notes = dollar bills
That’s all I can think of right now…but it’s pretty crazy here!

Last night was a free night so the other Tazzies and I went to supper at this place called Cactus Jack’s. It’s hard to explain but it’s kind of like a Mexican and hamburger place. They had Texas license plates and decorations…I was at home! They also had a Texas Margarita, so it was my duty as a Texan to make sure they were giving us a good name! And don’t worry, they were. Haha. It was so much fun! I had never done karaoke before. The girls and I rocked out to Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ on a Prayer.” I was able to stay up until midnight which was pretty impressive.

Then today was a free day for us so I slept as late as I possibly could…8:30 AM. (See mom, I told you I was made to live over here…I sleep at normal times!). We hung around the resort for awhile and went downtown. We went to this little corner sandwich shop which was AWESOME! The food here is so fresh because they don’t have any preservatives. And the weather is so nice that it was just a little restaurant built into the side of a building and all the tables were outside.They also had fresh fruit juices and smoothies…yum! Oh, one strange thing is that if you don’t ask for ice in your water then you don’t get ice!
Anyways, after lunch we went to the lagoon which they told us was a man made beach but it was actually a beach pool. It was really awesome though because it overlooked the water which would have been too shallow to swim in. The water was so nice and warm! I love it here! We stayed there for a good 4 or 5 hours and I managed to not get burned! Thank goodness!
Then we went to the Australian Target. It was so strange; it was inside and mall and was probably more like a department store than anything else. But it still had the big circle signs telling you where everything was and the same sort of things that our Target would sell, it was just set up differently. Let me tell you Dad, I am very much appreciating that I was able to get a new supply of makeup before I left. Everything is SO expensive here. Hair dye which is normally $7 is $20. Mascara that is $11 in the States is $25. A normal size bag of M&Ms that would cost $0.89 costs $2.50!!! (I am pretty excited though because they still have crispy M&Ms over here!). Face powder which is would be $13 is $30. It’s absolutely insane! I’m really hoping that things will be a little cheaper in Hobart since Cairns is such a tourist town. But it is nice that they already include the tax into their price. When I was checking out the man asked me if I wanted a bag so I said sure and then looked at the price thing to see what the total was and I was going to have to pay 10cents for a bag! I decided that a bag wasn’t too necessary. Haha. Now I’m back at the resort just hanging out until dinner. We are going out to some restaurant with the whole group tonight (there are about 70 of us AustraLearn students at this session. Most of them are going to be in Sydney).

That’s all I have for today! I forgot to post photos yesterday with my blog so I’ll see what I can do about that today! (I write up my blog in a word document and then post it later when I am on the internet so that I’m not wasting my internet money on writing all of this out. So I’ll see if it will let me.) I tried to upload photos to facebook yesterday but it didn’t let me. I will try again today. I love you all very much. Tomorrow we are doing a community service day so I will try to post again after that.




3 comments:

  1. G'day!

    Today in class we watched a video clip on the weather here and in Ausralia. It was very strange... we never just watch weather clips, but it has been snowing here. The clip was about how it has been the worst winter in a long time. But it said that in Australia it is 92 degrees. How lucky!

    Have you started picking up the accent and phrases yet? Do all the Aussies automatically know you're a Texan?

    So, when do you start classes? Does playtime end then? Or will you have things organized for you the whole time?

    I must say, THAT PLACE IS EXPENSIVE!! Holy cow! Were you able to get bedding at a decent price?

    It was SOO great to hear from you last night!! When it came up as "unknown number", I was just hoping it was you!

    Well as you are sun bathing, it is snowing more than ever in Lubbock and I will be going to Ruidoso tomorrow to snowboard! There is over 150 inches at the base!!

    I love you so much girl!! Keep up with the great posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on ya mate for holding that snake!! That bugger seems scary!!! Like rachel said, it has been snowing like crazy, but the even crazier part is that I'm not in Lbk, I'm here in dallas!!! I put a picture up of your car this morning with about 2" of snow on it and it is now 3:30 and there are about 7"!!!!! It's very beautiful. My classes didn't get cancelled till noon but I didn't chance driving your car in this mess, I appreciate it too much. I am so glad that you are having fun, and Karaoke.....sounds fun! You are such a smart traveler and I'm so glad that you bought stuff here! Good on ya mate for that! I can't wait till you get your internet set up and we can chat on skype! I love you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sara,
    Just saw all your pics on Facebook....can't wait to get there and have some experiences of my own. I'm sooooo happy you are having fun. You look so happy in your pictures!!! Good on ya! I guess I'll need to bring the restock of makeup when I come- CRAZY prices. Well I guess everyone has let you know that we have a record snowfall here in North Texas.....well, it's not a record yet. One inch to go for 7 1/2 inches and that would be the new record. Should be easy to break since they are saying that it is suppose to continue snowing for the next 10 hours!!! That little joey was so cute!! You are so pretty.....she say you're pretty!! I love you!!! Skype me soon.

    ReplyDelete