February 23, 2010

Units!

February 21

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!
The last day before school starts. :( It feels so strange to be starting school tomorrow! I have been out of school for over two months now and I just feel like I should never have to go back.

If yesterday was uneventful then I don’t even know what I’d call today!
I guess it was a good way to spend my last day before going back to class. I slept in, made some lunch, sat around and made fun of Aussie cartoons with my roommates…that sort of exciting thing!

The most wonderful part of my day was that I got to talk to BOTH my sisters on skype! Joey and went up to the school to use the internet and the library was closed. But we had brought our computers so we sat outside of the library and stole the internet that way. I got to talk to Rachel and Matt for a little while which was so fantastic! And then Lauren got on after getting home from a babysitting job! I was so happy to get to talk to Lauren! I hadn’t gotten to talk to her since I’ve been here and I am so happy she was up late. I was having a few issues with my connection because I was sitting in this underground tunnel so I didn’t get to chat with them for long but it was still wonderful!

When I got back home our American friend Jeff was over playing cards with the rest of the roommates. Stacey had gone white water rafting today and had an awesome time. Marina was back from her camping trip in Wineglass Bay. It was nice to have everyone back home safe and sound!

Tonight we finished watching Fight Club; and then all pulled out our schedules and maps to try to figure out what tomorrow is going to look like for each of us. My first class is at noon and I won’t be done until around 5. I think I’m going to need to bring a snack!

I had better get to bed. Thanks for all your prayers and support. I truly appreciate them!




February 22

First day of school!!!!!!

Funny things from today:
All of the Aussies say “heaps” instead of “a lot.” It’s pretty funny because it’s on billboards and commercials and everything.
There is a Corona beer advertisement on campus.
I found out that there is a bar on campus. Weird, yeah? Apparently it’s more just so that bands can go and play there but I still find that incredibly strange.
“Unit” = “Class”

Okay, well today was the first day of class!
We had planned on waking up this morning and going into Hobart at 9 to set up the internet but that didn’t happen. Every time we come close to setting it up we get scared and start second guessing ourselves about that the best deal is going to be. The way they do internet here is so strange; we really don’t understand how many gigabytes we are going to need or anything like that. It is hard to find a coverage that doesn’t require a contract and that isn’t too expensive. Today we were finally able to talk to everyone that we wanted to talk to and I really hope that we have decided once and for all the plan that we are going with. …I’ll let you know if we change our minds again!

So, instead of going into town we went up to the library to look up some more options. While we were there I talked on the phone with Westnet to see what they had to offer about home internet. The guy next to us overheard me talking to them and could tell we were totally confused! He helped and told us about how many gigs he thought we would need and such things. Thank you! I think we are kind of starting to understand this crazy awful internet thing.

I had a class at noon which I had to wait around a little bit for.
I called Momma and got to chat with her for a little bit which was wonderful. :) I didn’t really have much to tell her since my weekend had been so uneventful; but it was nice to get to catch up regardless of my boring weekend.

The class that I had today was Public Relations. I liked the class; we just went over what we would be learning, the expected outcomes and what the unit would look like. My teacher, Kate Nash, seems like a really fun and happy person. I’m not sure if I will be staying in this class though because it wasn’t approved by Texas Tech for some reason. I’m working to find out why it wasn’t and to see if there is any way that it can be approved.

After my class I went home and made myself a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.
Marina and I chatted about her weekend and the internet and all that good stuff. The maintenance guys came over to deliver the dresser that I had requested and they gave me the option of having this dinky little dresser or a new armoire. I picked the armoire! I’m sure they hated me because then they had to set it all up and it took about an hour. I sat and talked to them while they put it together. I was either an annoyance or a good distraction; I’m not sure which one. Haha. They told me about some fruit markets that I should check out, yay! And now I have a wonderful cabinet for all of my clothes! I am no longer living out of suitcases. Yippy skippy!!!!!

Once the maintenance men left, Natalie and I went to Cole’s grocery store. I bought some more sandwich stuff since I keep running out so quickly! Natalie and I were talking about how we feel like we are always at the grocery store. But it’s okay because we eat everything that we buy before we go back so it isn’t like we are just super picky. …and we don’t just fill ourselves crazy if we aren’t even hungry. Because we walk so much here we are burning more calories. And I feel like I have to go to the store a lot because back home I normally just eat McAlister’s every day and never have to buy food. I’ve never realized just how much money that actually saves me!!!

There was supposed to be a back to school party up at the school that had free food so of course, we went. It was just about the lamest “party” that I’ve ever been to. There were probably 10 people there. They had “one of Tasmania’s hottest D.J.’s” playing a bunch of techno music. Needless to say, we didn’t stay there long.

We then went over to Jeff and Amy’s house and hung out with them and Mark for a little while before going back home to cook supper. On the way back to our house, Stacey, Natalie and I totally had a “10 Things I Hate About You” moment and broke into song on the concrete bleachers overlooking the cricket field on campus. We had to give our respects to Heath Ledger in his home country!

Natalie made us pasta and it was tasty! We hung around and had roommate talk. I really like that we all sit around and talk. We aren’t all bogged down with homework and classes yet so we just spend our time together. After we did the dishes we played card games. Amy and Jeff came over for awhile because they needed to get out of their house. They stayed until almost 11 and then we decided to be old farts and all go to bed. So that was about all we did today! Tomorrow I am going to a class with Natalie that I am hoping I will be able to get into and have approved for credit. Cross your fingers!

2 comments:

  1. Word is on TTU campus is that there is going to be a bar on the top of the new parking garage. There is an alumni building a parking garage across the street from the stadium, where Hastings used to be. Anyways, I have heard that the Uni is putting a bar up there. Interesting.

    Thanks for the updates!! Keep 'em coming! ILY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get this post, because its from a while back. BUT I have an update on the car garage/bar situation. So, it is all true. and the car garage is going to b HUGE! But guess how much it is? $1,500 a spot!! Unreal! Anyways, on the bottom level is a restaurant and on the top is a bar. (I foresee a lot of people falling off when they are drunk. Hopefully the wall will be high enough).

    ReplyDelete